Thursday, April 12, 2012

JPost reiterates my point

Just a few days after I make my points on whether Israel's critics actual practise religion, Daniel Gordis in the Jerusalem Post makes the same point

The article talks about Peter Beinart's book "The Crisis of Zionism".  It makes very emotional arguments about Palestinian suffering, yet talks about Israeli suffering in a very cold way.  Compare the arrest of a criminal against the kidnapping

BEINART’S PROBLEM isn’t really with Israel. It’s with Judaism. Bottom line, what troubles Beinart isn’t what’s happened to Zionism. What troubles him is the dimension of Jewish life that he can’t abide, but of which Zionism insists on reminding him. And that element is the undeniable fact that Judaism is tribal.
And this reminds me of my last post:

I don’t know which kiddush Beinart recited on the first night of Passover, but surely he knows that most Jews begin the main portion of the kiddush by praising God “who has chosen us from among all the nations, raising us above other languages
Hmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment